Sunday, July 01, 2007

La Via de La Rosa

Every once in a blue moon you encounter a performance that just floods your senses and overrides your emotions. The first time I heard the Little Sparrow sing was in the ealry 80s, in a movie called La Ley del Deseo directed by Pedro Almodovar. The song was Ne Me Quitte Pas and it made me realize how I thrive with melancholy and nostalgia. These feelings may seem pessimistic or even emotionally masoquistic. I digress, you never feel more alive than when life is colored sepia and everyone seems to be looking away from you. Things that are hard to conquer give you the greatest satisfactions. My most prolific time as a poet was in my early 20s before I became Mirandesquely (Miranda Hobbs) cynical. Platonic loves and being misunderstood by my peers just made me long for men who seemed defenseless or situations in which I was needed to provide comfort.
All these thoughts came to my mind as I saw the biopic of Edith Piaf last Friday in the movie La Vie en Rose. Besides the fact the Marion Cotillard gave an Oscar worthy performance it was the tragic story of someone who overcame life's lemons and made not only lemonade but planted the seeds and grew lemon trees. Probably this kind of story does not resonate in the instant gratification society we currently live in, but it certainly shows an example of why some of the so called Divas nowadays need to just look back a few decades and realize that that title was earned and if they were bitches it was because they did everything without making excuses...Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien

1 comment:

Dany said...

Of course you had to talk about that crazy song "Ne me quitte pas", the suicidal song by excellence... lol.
You would think that would be my anthem!!!! If Marion does not get an award at Cannes or at the Oscars, I'm coming after you.