Thursday, March 20, 2008

AIDA and how theatre is done


Being a musical "queen" and a chorus singer I was very much intrigued and excited this Saturday when I went to see Aida performed by the J*Company, a youth troupe at the La Jolla's Jewish Community Center. These are high school kids between the ages of 14-18 directed by Joey Landwehr who also happens to be the choreographer director of our chorus' next performance... Heart and Soul.
Seeing these kids perform was a moving and fun experience I was not prepared for. All the leads were just stunning, Amneris had a powerhouse voice and a sense of timing hard to find in musical theatre... my only quip would be that wig!!! reminded me of the Facts of Life's Blair worst hair days. Aida was sweet and tender but with the strength you expect from her character. I think she was the best duo/trio performer moving with ease from solo performance to blending without effort when needed.
I am a little biased towards Mereb (played by Andrew Miller), Andrew has helped the chorus in previous chorus productions as he will do in this one. His portrayal of the Egyptian slave was just a joy to watch and hear. Besides his soothing vocal performance I think his stage presence and timing was refreshing and worthy of bigger stages.
Finally, Radames had a very interesting actor filling those shoes. I think his solos where well handled and his onstage chemistry with Aida were his "strongest suit" I have to admit I was missing a sort of TOUGHNESS in his role that we expect in the character, it did not make me unlike him just wished for a little more umph.
Overall I think we paid for a show that was well worth much more.

1 comment:

Dany said...

you just wanted to wear their dresses :-)